Monday, December 22, 2008

"Island Dream" or Sunset by Mae Hatfield Manduke c.1990

This oil painting was painted by my mom in 1990 or 1991. She painted it from an photograph I took while on my usual vacation to Kona, on Hawaii's big island in those days. My mother always enjoyed natural lighting and natural hues of gold, yellows, and plant inspired greens, sky blues. It is really from her that I got my appreciation of nature and is really the root, in my Bucks county childhood years on the farm that placed me in the environmental industry. In fact, HTS funds paid for the materials for the project. It was always displayed in a magnificent gold frame, which is now lost.

oil on canvas
approx. 36" wide
1990

I gave this painting to my second wife as a memento upon my departure from PEI in fall, 2008. She is Michelle Rene Sexton, of Charlottetown, PEI. It is a fitting gift as Shel was the heart of my life, and the root of the new life I lead in Arizona from fall 1994 until March of 2004. The painting along with "Scarecrows" was always displayed in the family mansion in Maryland. Later, Arizona, our apartment on PEI, now in Shel's place there. It is a powerful image of wealth, nature, two marriages, and a bygone era.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Fair Artist of beautiful seascapes,

    We have been watching you. We are artist also. At least that's what they call us. You may even know us. We'd like to invite you to a member of our very Private Club. We're very selective and only an elite few are welcome on our hallowed grounds. We pick you.

    We even have a little 'chit chat' room just for the likes of you. It's rightfully called Dante's Pub. But when your enter BEWARE! You are entering the abyss of the artist mind! You may not find your way out.

    You're welcome to watch from afar while drinking your brew or pull up a chair and join us for a little chat. Be sure and register and then log in. After all, this is a very private club. We don't allow just any wanderer in our midst.

    Don't dilly dally now! It wont cost you a pence. Check out The Artist Challenge and Dante's Pub- that is if your daring and think yourself worthy to be amongst the souls we've claimed?

    Farewell...until we hear from you,
    Master Mike and the Pub Wench

    Artist Challenge- http://www.theartistchallenge.com/
    Dante‘s Pub - http://www.theartistchallenge.com/art-forum/

    ReplyDelete